Filed Under: International

IOC reconfirms Peng Shuai is safe after second video call, WTA suspends China tournaments

By

The International Olympic Committee said it is arranging an in-person meeting with Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai. The IOC said it spoke to Shuai over a video call on Wednesday to verify her safety. The head of the Women’s Tennis Association was not convinced and said he was suspending all tournaments in the country’s mainland and Hong Kong because some things are “bigger than money.”

Shuai was not seen in public for three weeks after making sexual assault allegations last month against a former senior Chinese Communist Party official.

“We share the same concern as many other people and organisations about the well-being and safety of Peng Shuai,” the IOC said in a statement.

The IOC offered its support to Shuai and expressed plans to stay in touch.

The decision by the U.S.-based WTA to not participate in one of its biggest markets was applauded by many leading figures in the tennis world, though it could cost it millions of dollars in broadcasting and sponsorship revenue.

“In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault,” WTA chairman and CEO Steve Simon said.

TAYLOR KNIGHT:

THERE’S A MAJOR UPDATE REGARDING CHINESE TENNIS STAR PENG SHUAI.

THE TENNIS PLAYER VANISHED FROM THE PUBLIC AFTER ACCUSING A FORMER HIGH RANKING CHINESE OFFICIAL OF SEXUAL ASSAULT.  

SHUAI’S TENNIS COLLEAGUES NOTICED HER DISAPPEARANCE AND CALLED ATTENTION TO IT ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND THE SPORTS WORLD. 

THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE DID SPEAK TO PENG SHUAI FOR 30 MINUTES IN NOVEMBER CONFIRMING HER SAFETY. 

HOWEVER THE WOMEN’S TENNIS ASSOCIATION WAS NOT PLEASED WITH THE LACK OF TRANSPARENCY FROM CHINA’S GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS REGARDING PENG SHUAI RESULTING IN THE SUSPENSION OF ALL WOMEN’S TENNIS ASSOCIATION TOURNAMENTS IN CHINA.

WITH THE SUSPENSION IN EFFECT, THE IOC SHARED THEY SPOKE TO PENG SHUAI FOR A SECOND TIME, CONFIRMING THEY WILL HAVE AN IN PERSON MEETING WITH THE TENNIS STAR IN JANUARY. 

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW THIS ALL STARTED CHECK OUT MY ORIGINAL VIDEO ON PENG SHUAI’S DISAPPEARANCE. 

 

The International Olympic Committee said it is arranging an in-person meeting with Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai. The IOC said it spoke to Shuai over a video call on Wednesday to verify her safety. The head of the Women’s Tennis Association was not convinced and said he was suspending all tournaments in the country’s mainland and Hong Kong because some things are “bigger than money.”

Shuai was not seen in public for three weeks after making sexual assault allegations last month against a former senior Chinese Communist Party official.

“We share the same concern as many other people and organisations about the well-being and safety of Peng Shuai,” the IOC said in a statement.

The IOC offered its support to Shuai and expressed plans to stay in touch.

The decision by the U.S.-based WTA to not participate in one of its biggest markets was applauded by many leading figures in the tennis world, though it could cost it millions of dollars in broadcasting and sponsorship revenue.

“In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault,” WTA chairman and CEO Steve Simon said.

Full Story

View All Reports in this Story

Recent Reports


Get unbiased straight facts, context, and perspective!